Friday, July 22, 2011

What are you doing this weekend?

Wondering what’s up this weekend? 
No giant art festival or cultural festival, but still plenty to do if you can stand being in this wonderful (note: sarcasm) July weather.  I do not enjoy sweating without moving, so I’ll be checking out indoor activities!

Today: 
1.  Check out Friday’s at the Fountain out at West Glen.  Toaster will be playing, and I’ve seen them before.  It’s definitely a good show – a great band to listen to while sipping your favorite summer beverage.
2.  Go see a movie!  I’ve heard amazing things about Horrible Bosses.  Can you go wrong with Jason Bateman, Jason Sudeikis, and Charlie Day? (It’s Always Sunny… fans, get excited!) I haven’t seen it yet, but I definitely plan to this weekend if at all possible.
Also – I went and saw the latest Harry Potter movie last weekend…at the IMAX.  Get there early so you can get good seats.  We got there right on time and were forced to watch the movie with our heads turned straight up – my neck hurt, but it was totally worth it.  I’m not the fan who stands in line at midnight to see it, but shelling out a few extra bucks to see it at the IMAX is a definite must-do!
Tomorrow: 
1.  West Glen Farmers Market!  9am-1pm.  It’s going to be hot, so go early.  Where else will you be able to buy 3 for $1 cucumbers?!?! 
2.   If you feel like getting all hopped up and jittery about your Saturday, you could stop by Mars Café for a coffee tasting.  Personally, I’m more of a wine taster, but whatever floats your boat!
3.  Iowa Barnstormers game.  It looks like they’re playing the Georgia Force.  Force versus Barnstormers.  I feel like making a lame tornado joke…but I won’t.
4.  Shakesperience Fest 2011.  I don’t know exactly what it is, but it ends in “Fest.”    Never underestimate a good “fest.”  Begins at 6pm at Simon Estes Amphitheatre.
5.  If you enjoy a good jam band, Mooseknuckle will be playing at Star Bar on Ingersoll!
6.  If you’re thinking of going out to eat, here are some of my picks:
·         Samurai – sushi always sounds good to me.
·         Felix & Oscar’s for the pizza, duh.
·         Plaza Mexico on 86th in Johnston – sort of a drive and hidden behind a Kum & Go…but you’re missing out if you write it off because of that.  Great food and good drinks and fast service!
·         Trostel’s Dish – Yum.  Enough said.
What are some of your favorite local restaurants?   I love to try new places, so suggestions are welcome!
Sunday:
1.  You should definitely check out Final Mix playing at the Jordan Creek Town Center Amphitheater. 
It will be a great way to rest a bit before beginning another work-week!

Lindsey Mathews
New View Board Member & Outreach Committee Chair
Project Delivery Coordinator
Shive-Hattery Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment