Friday, July 15, 2011

The only networking tip you really need...

I know this a lofty statement, but I really believe it.  It relates back to any and every tip you’ve ever read, heard or practiced:
***BE MEMORABLE***
If I could emphasize that more, I would (but I’m limited in print). It stifles me.
Honestly, I feel being memorable is more a piece of life advice than specific to networking (But let’s make this work for the blog, eh?) (I’m not Canadian whatsoever, but my old roommate swears I had the accent sometimes).
Many articles and professionals talk about the importance of having a great handshake.  I don’t really have one of those – I won’t go into the analysis I’ve done on my own handshake, but let’s just say it’s not great.  However, you can bounce back from a less than impressive handshake.
Of course the first step is to go to networking events.  That’s a given.  But say it’s an event with a speaker and/or presentation and not a lot of actual networking.  In that case, think of questions during the presentation.  I’ve never been to a presentation that didn’t end with the speaker asking if there are any questions.  Be one of those people who gets involved and wants to know more (or the only one – that sort of depends on how awesome the audience is).  Asking a question, even if you might not think it’s a great question, is making yourself stick out.  Don’t just go to the events, really participate during them.
If you’re not really the public speaking type and can’t fathom raising your hand and asking a question in front of a room of other audience members, then maybe seek out one of the presenters before she/he leaves.  Practice your handshake first, then introduce yourself –– and then ask your question.   In fact, that speaker may remember you even more since you took the time to come up to him/her after the presentation.
If even that is too much, or the opportunity just didn’t arise to walk up to the presenter…then do some stalking.  Yep, stalking.  Nothing dangerous or illegal, don’t get too nutty.  I mean stalking in the least inappropriate way. (Don’t use me as an excuse for harassment).  I’m just encouraging you to find out who organized the event or go home and Google the speaker. 
Thanks to Google, you can pretty much find anyone’s email address.  So shoot the speaker an email with a nice comment about their performance and your question.  It’s definitely a start and maybe it can help motivate you to raise your hand next time.  People generally love feedback – especially when it’s positive or inquisitive.
If the event is casual networking, don’t be afraid to just hop into a conversation.  Chances are the people chatting are there for the same reason you are and would have no problem including you.   Be excited or show some passion about something:  ideally your work, but anything will do for a start.  That’s what will truly make you memorable.  Get in on the conversation and then really contribute to it.  Don’t be the weird wo/man who stood quietly (read: creepy!) outside of a circle of people the whole night.  It will make you memorable, but for all of the wrong reasons.
Moral of the story:  Be memorable (but not creepy)

Lindsey Mathews
New View Board Member & Outreach Committee Chair
Project Delivery Coordinator
Shive-Hattery Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment