Friday, July 1, 2011

Generation Y, Millennials, Etc...

Call us what you will; we’re the generation born in the 80s and 90s.   We’re the young professionals in today’s work force.  And considering all of the generalizations and stereotypes, I’d say we are doing just fine.
I’m really fascinated by articles and speakers giving presentations on generations in the work place, and I think it’s great to hear the pros and cons of all 4 of the typical generations. 
According to fdu.edu, these are the 4 generations in the work place today:
                1. Veterans, Silent, Traditionalists (1922-1946)
                2. Baby Boomers (1946-1964)
                3. Generation X (1965-1980)
                4. Generation Y, Millennials, Echo Boomers (1981-2000)

I’d much rather learn about them in order to work together in a more functional and efficient way than to waste my time thinking everyone over 45 can’t use a computer (Hardy har, har).  So, when I came across this article, I felt I should really share it:  Leave Gen Y Alone!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did…and I really hope it motivates you to research other articles on the topic.  There is some really interesting information out there on the subject.

Lindsey Mathews
New View Board Member & Outreach Committee Chair

Project Delivery Coordinator
Shive-Hattery Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment