Friday, July 29, 2011

Does Your Company Take Part in Social Networking?

It seems as though nearly every company out there either pioneered the usage of social networking for their business or is getting their proverbial toes wet (finally!).
I was recently asked to participate on a social networking TASK FORCE at work.  I capitalized TASK FORCE because it makes it sound much cooler.  It’s a FORCE!  We should probably work on saving the planet via amazing element-related rings once we’re done figuring out this whole social networking thing.
Since taking part in this TASK FORCE, I’ve become really interested in researching the topic.   Can you think of any industry that can’t use social networking to advance themselves in one way or another?  Can you?  No, seriously…can you?  I’m thinking really hard here and I’ve got nothing…and my hard-thinking face is not pretty, so I’m going to knock that off.  It’s why I gave up on being a Philosophy major in college.  Sorry, Dr. Pauley.  (If you know who Dr. Pauley is, you get eleventy-billion amazing points in my currently non-existent book).
Side-Bar – I’m considering auto-biography book titles, because it’s never too early to start...Right now I’m leaning toward “Trial & Error: The Lindsey Mathews Story.”  But I’m open to suggestions.  Feel free to comment.
Okay – back to professional social networking! 
I was recently sent the article below specific to using social networking in the architectural & engineering industry.  Those are hard to come by, so I found it particularly helpful in my TASK FORCE duties.  I thought I’d share it, because even though it is specific to my industry, it has some great universal information and tips for being professional while using social networks.
***FREE TIP FROM ME (Not the article): Don’t post photos of yourself doing regrettable things at regrettable places and then making them public.  It’s tacky. ***
You’re welcome.

Lindsey Mathews
New View Board Member & Outreach Committee Chair
Project Delivery Coordinator
Shive-Hattery Inc.


No comments:

Post a Comment