Friday, May 13, 2011

Doors Open. Doors Close.

And sometimes in life, you really don’t know which one to open or which threshold to venture through. In the past three and a half years, I have had many doors opening and a few closing, which has led to tremendous change in my life.

In 2008, I closed a door. At age 33, I went through a divorce, moved away from my home town (population 15,000) and lived, for the first time in my life, alone in a “big” city of West Des Moines. The following three years have been a blur of doors opening and me either sprinting or hesitantly tiptoeing across the thresholds.

Door #1: I had been working with the WDM Chamber on their accreditation submission. When we completed the project, the Board had me join them at a Board Meeting so they could acknowledge the efforts of the project. At this meeting, they discussed the upcoming inaugural class of the West Des Moines Leadership Academy. Nomination sheets were handed out, and luckily, my boss was there. I leaned over and said, “I want to do this.” Graciously, he nominated me and door #2 opened.

Door #2: Class of 2009 – Inaugural West Des Moines Leadership Academy.  I truly believe that being a part of the Leadership Academy has led to very amazing, and very positive, changes in my life. At a time in my life when I wasn’t sure which end was up, whether or not I truly could belong anywhere, and was lacking in self-confidence, this door opened up a world of belonging, confidence and dear friendships. Through the relationships I was able to develop through WDMLA, my confidence continues to soar, and I am doing so much that just feels “right”.

Door #3: Board Member – West Des Moines Leadership Academy – At graduation, Rose Breuss, the chair of the program at that time, stopped me and asked if I’d be interested in being on the Board of Directors for WDMLA. I was shocked, thrilled, nervous, excited and scared all at the same time. This was one threshold that I wasn’t sure I wanted to cross. Everything was happening so quickly. I had never been on a Board. I had no idea what that would entail. And, still having a little bit of self-doubt, I wondered if I would be able to make Rose proud as she had so much faith and confidence in me and my abilities. I accepted the offer and, you guessed it, more doors opened.

Door #4: WDMLA Chair-Elect – Diving over one threshold to the next, I found myself being asked to be the chair-elect for the program. Once again, I hesitantly accepted but am so happy I did. I continue to make amazing friends and now have a chance to give back to the program that helped to alter the course of my life. It is as chair-elect that I would like to offer you the same chance I was offered… Apply to be a part of the Class of 2012. 
You do not have to be nominated. 
You do not have to be a certain age. 
The requirement is that you have to live, work, play or have an interest in West Des Moines.
Please visit http://www.wdmleaders.org/ and read more about the specifics of the program.
 It’s a fantastic opportunity, and I challenge you to look into it more and see if it might be for you!
And if you are curious… other doors that have opened for me based on my connection with the Leadership Academy include:

Animal Control Community Committee Member for West Des Moines, Urbandale and Clive and then co-chairing the building committee for a new facility.


Graphic design for Animal Lifeline of Iowa

A Zoo Ambassador for Blank Park Zoo

Board Member of the West Des Moines Chamber

         Multiple additional committees 

Remember… this has all happened in the last three years and helped me to rebuild something I thought I had lost. It opened doors to friendships and opportunities I was convinced were locked. The door is open for the Leadership Academy, and I invite you in.

Classes are limited, so if you do not get in this year, PLEASE try again!

Tina Gray
West Des Moines Leadership Academy Chair-Elect

No comments:

Post a Comment