Friday, April 29, 2011

Networking for Idiots (Because Networking for Dummies is Probably Trademarked)

I’m a networking idiot.  I know it’s important.  I’ve seen it work for lots of other people!  But here’s the thing:  small talk is hard for me.

I make awkward jokes…in general.  Once you get to know me, I swear it’s halfway charming, but initially, it might be…well, awkward.
I happened across an article on MSNCareers and thought I might share it.  It gave me hope that one day, maybe I can be a networking aficionado.
*Note:  Aficionado – An enthusiast. 
(Thanks, dictionary.com).
Annnnnyway, the article has a list of things you can do to be a better networker.  I was excited (yep, excited) to see that “Say Thank You” was on the list.   Mostly because I’m a nerd and I like picking out thank-you cards at Dollar Tree and then actually sending them.  So one out of five isn’t bad, right?
Check out the article and then let’s practice the steps together at the next New View event.  It’ll be amazing.  Also, you’ll get a thank-you card from me! WINNING!


Lindsey Mathews
New View Outreach Chair
Project Coordinator at Shive-Hattery

No comments:

Post a Comment