Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Not So Boring...



Leslie Jasper
Group Sales Manager
Des Moines Performing Arts

I still remember the final drive of my move, from Minneapolis to Des Moines, like it was yesterday.  I was literally giving myself a pep talk as I crossed the Minnesota/Iowa border, reminding myself I can take as many weekend trips to the cities as I want and I’d see all my friends “at least once a month.”  I remember how I wanted to leave some of my things in Minnesota, in storage, just to have some sort of roots still there; to have some of my identity still within a mile of the places I once called my home.

Well, that was just over two years ago and it’s bittersweet to admit, those trips to Minneapolis have never exceeded once every three, to six, months.  I didn’t leave any belongings there (thanks to everyone who convinced me not to) and every day since that drive, I’m grateful I brought with me here, every bit of my identity that I possibly could.  It’s not that I don’t love my friends up North, it’s not that I don’t miss my Mall of America shopping trips, and not like it doesn’t cross my mind to head-up for a random day in the summer, just to lay in my favorite spot by the lakes.  It’s just that I’m busy here!  Almost immediately I was able to find new places every bit of my identity could connect with in this wonderful city, within this wonderful state, that’s become my wonderful home.  Even two years later, I feel so lucky to tell my Minneapolis friends when they ask where I’ve been, “Guess what, they weren’t joking – Des Moines is NOT boring!”

Since the early days of my move, I’ve been lucky enough to meet some wonderfully-connected (and social) people, build a career which has me exploring this city’s dynamic arts and culture scene daily, and be heavily involved on several committees that work with local businesses and entertainment venues.  All of those things combined, in addition to being a frequent user of social media, a reader of the various city guides, and a member of Iowa tourism networks, is why I couldn’t be happier writing this today. I want to remind us of – or introduce to us to – some of what’s going on, what’s worth checking out, and what activities you can fill your calendar with, so you too will find yourself one day saying (if you haven’t already), “Guess what, they weren’t joking, Des Moines is NOT boring!”

“Not so Boring” Happenings:
Because we all could use some fun activities to get us through the final days of winter!

Science Center of Iowa
A T. Rex Named Sue, through May
Mixology Night March 1st, for the 21+ crowd
www.sciowa.org

Wells Fargo Arena/Iowa Events Center
Iowa Energy and Barnstormers, Ongoing
Harlem Globetrotters, April 7
Bon Jovi, April 14
www.iowaeventscenter.com

Hoyt Sherman Place
Tracy Sherman, March 15
www.hoyshermanplace.org

Jasper Winery
Fun events weekly, check website for updates
www.jasperwinery.com

Funny Bone Comedy Club
Ongoing shows
www.funnybonecentral.com

Brenton Skating Plaza
Hurry, season ends in March!
www.brentonplaza.com

The Social Canvas
Ongoing “Paint and Drink” Classes, no experience required!
www.thesocialcanvas.com

Skyzone
Indoor Trampoline Park, Fitness Classes and Open Jump for all ages!
www.skyzone.com/DesMoines

Des Moines Art Center
Transparencies, February 22 – May 22
www.desmoinesartcenter.org

Temple Theater
The Second City, February 20 – March 3
Broadway’s Next Hit Musical, May 1 – 12
www.DesMoinesPerformingArts.org

Living History Farms
Sample over 20 different kinds of micro-brewed beer at Beer ‘n’ Bread, March 9
www.lhf.org

Summerset Winery
Monthly events, including “Scrapbook and Vino” and “Sunday Tunes”
www.summersetwine.com

Val Air Ballroom
Kick-Off Colon Cancer Awareness Month with “Bottoms-Up Blues Fest”, March 2
www.valairballroom.com

Climb Iowa
Indoor rock climbing for all skill levels
www.climbiowa.com

Des Moines Playhouse
9 To 5: The Musical, March 22 – April 21
www.dmplayhouse.com

Des Moines Social Club
Always something fun going on for everyone!
www.desmoinessocialclub.org

 Des Moines Performing Arts
Jekyll and Hyde the Musical, March 5 – 10
Million Dollar Quartet, March 19 – 24
www.DesMoinesPerformingArts.org

Need to know where to find all the local “happenings”?

www.CatchDesMoines.com
www.DesMoinesMetroMix.com
www.DMJuice.com
www.DesMoinesIsNotBoring.com
www.BusinessRecord.com

And, of course, all your favorite social media pages, friends, and event listings!

No comments:

Post a Comment