Monday, January 7, 2013

Some Words from our Vice Chair


Kristen George - Audit Supervisor,
McGowen, Hurst, Clark & Smith

It’s hard to believe it is already 2013!  I am looking forward to a great year for New View as the Vice-Chair of the New View Board for 2013.  We have so many great activities planned with many different speakers, panel discussions, casual and structured networking, and a chance to learn more about our sponsors.

As I write this it is my second day back to work at McGowen, Hurst, Clark and Smith after a 10 week maternity leave.  I am a supervisor in the audit department and it is going to be a busy few weeks getting ready for all of our year end audits.  While coming back to work is an adjustment I am grateful that I work for an employer that allows me the flexibility to take such a long maternity leave and also to allow me to continue to do the things that help me not only to grow as a professional, but also as a person.

One of those important things in my life that has developed over the last few years is New View.  It has been a lot of fun getting to know the other board members, both new and old, and to work with them in planning events and finding new ways to promote our name in the community.  It has also been a great way to meet new people as they come and go from our monthly events and spend time volunteering their time and expertise on our committees. 

New View is a fantastic way to network with other young professionals especially if you are new to networking.  It provides a structured environment to meet new people with a very casual and laid back attitude.  We have many returning faces each month but also new ones with many different professional backgrounds and career paths.  New View is also flexible in the timing of its events to hopefully allow everyone a chance to join us.  Alternating lunch and after hours events make it easy to get to several events throughout the year – especially for a new mom who will not always be able to make it to after work events I will always know I can make the lunches. 

Whether you are new to our group or attending for the first time please feel free to come discuss any suggestions or ideas to improve our events this coming year with me or with any of the board members.  Also, we are always looking for fresh ideas and new people to join our committees.  If you are at all interested please let me know and I will get you more information.  I am looking forward to an exciting year for New View in 2013.  I hope you are too!

No comments:

Post a Comment